Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Warrior Lessons from Today's Psalms Reading

Battle lessons from today’s Psalm readings:

  • A warrior loves His God and proclaims it conspicuously: “A Psalm of David, the servant of the LORD, Who addressed the words of this song to the LORD on the day when the LORD rescued him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. He said: ‘I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in Whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold” (Psalm 18:1,2).
  • A warrior understands that the security and strength that surround him merely reflect the ultimate Security and Strength: “Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised in the city of our God! His holy mountain, beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth, Mount Zion, in the far north, the city of the great King. Within her citadels God has made Himself known as a fortress...walk about Zion, go around her, number her towers, consider well her ramparts, go through her citadels, that you may tell the next generation that this is God, our God forever and ever. He will guide us forever” (Psalm 48:1-3,12-14).
  • A warrior knows that the character necessary for battle comes from covenant obedience to the covenant King and constant consideration of His great works: “The Ephraimites, armed with the bow, turned back on the day of battle. They did not keep God's covenant, but refused to walk according to His Law. They forgot His works and the wonders that He had shown them” (Psalm 78:9-11).
  • A warrior knows that whatever victories we see are actually God’s, and have happened according to His authority as sovereign over all: “God has promised in His holiness: ‘With exultation I will divide up Shechem and portion out the Valley of Succoth. Gilead is Mine; Manasseh is Mine; Ephraim is My helmet, Judah My scepter. Moab is My washbasin; upon Edom I cast My shoe; over Philistia I shout in triumph’” (Psalm 108:7-9).
  • A warrior knows that God is the only true Source of help, salvation, bravery, and victory: “Oh grant us help against the foe, for vain is the salvation of man! With God we shall do valiantly; it is He Who will tread down our foes” (Psalm 108:12,13).
  • A warrior knows that true victory produces glory to God; all else is vanity: “All the kings of the earth shall give You thanks, O LORD, for they have heard the words of Your mouth, and they shall sing of the ways of the LORD, for great is the glory of the LORD” (Psalm 138:4,5).
  • A warrior knows that his existence is from God, which means that God’s purpose for this existence will stand in trouble or peace: “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You preserve my life; You stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand delivers me. The LORD will fulfill His purpose for me; Your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of Your hands” (Psalm 138:7,8).

No comments: