Tuesday, October 27, 2020

However It Ends, Father

I am not old. I know and love quite a few people around three decades older than I am.

 

Still, my beard has been gray for almost a decade…more and more so. I long for the day when it’s all white, but the Lord alone knows if that will happen.

 

My prayer has become this, increasingly so with every ache and niggle and change…Father, when this muscle in my chest quits contracting, let it be that my influence somehow contributes to the eternal reality that my wife, my children (grandchildren, even great-grandchildren, so on), and my dear local congregation…may it be that when this muscle in my chest quits contrasting that they all continue to the end faithful to You in Christ alone. Any way this goes down at the end, Father, let that one request be granted according to Your will and power, in Jesus’ name. That’s all I ask.


“In You, LORD, I have taken refuge;
Let me never be put to shame.
In Your righteousness rescue me and save me;
Extend Your ear to me and help me.
Be to me a rock of dwelling to which I may continually come…

…I have become a marvel to many,
For You are my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with Your praise
And with Your glory all day long.
Do not cast me away at the time of my old age;
Do not abandon me when my strength fails…
But as for me, I will wait continually,
And will praise You yet more and more.
My mouth shall tell of Your righteousness
And of Your salvation all day long;
For I do not know the art of writing.
I will come with the mighty deeds of the Lord GOD;
I will make mention of Your righteousness, Yours alone.

God, You have taught me from my youth,
And I still declare Your wondrous deeds.
And even when I am old and gray, God, do not abandon me,
Until I declare Your strength to this generation,
Your power to all who are to come”
(Psalm 71:1-3,7-18).

No comments: