Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Application of Imprecatory Psalms


The unpopular part of this popular Psalm: “Oh that Thou wouldest slay, O God, the wicked and bloody men, to whom I say, ‘Depart ye from me’: Which speak wickedly of Thee, and being Thine enemies are lifted up in vain. Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate Thee? And do not I earnestly contend with those that rise up against Thee? I hate them with an unfeigned hatred, as they were mine utter enemies. Try me, O God, and know mine heart: prove me and know my thoughts, and consider if there be any way of wickedness in me, and lead me in the Way forever” (Psalm 139:19-24, Geneva Bible). Notice the last petition: the enemies of God inside the Psalmist are not exempt from his imprecation. Let’s consider this a worthy application of these Psalms that normally make us uncomfortable – using them as prayers against the rebellion in our hearts, minds, and souls.

No comments: