Thursday, September 13, 2012

He Alone Is Worthy


Last night at Bible study we considered this verse: “...those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead...” (Luke 20:35). What does it mean to be “considered worthy” for “the resurrection from the dead”?

  • “...the centurion sent friends, saying to Him, ‘...I am not worthy for You to come under my roof; for this reason I do not even consider myself worthy to come to You, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed’...when Jesus heard this, He marveled at him, and turned and said to the crowd that was following Him, ‘I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such great faith’” (Luke 7:6,7,9).
  • “I will get up and go to my father, and will say to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me as one of your hired men.’ So he got up and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am not longer worthy to be called your son.’ But the father said to his slaves, ‘Quickly bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet; and bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let us eat and celebrate; for this son of mine was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.’ And they began to celebrate” (Luke 15:18-24).

Those considered worthy never believe they are before God, and, in fact, confess that they are not.

Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created...worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth...worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing” (Revelation 4:11; 5:9,10,12).

Humble yourself before Him and confess that He alone is worthy.

No comments: