Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Teaching God Ordains a Teaching Church

“Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; for I trust in You; teach me the way in which I should walk; for to You I lift up my soul...teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground” (Psalm 143:8,10).

The Triune God is a teaching God.

He is three:
  • The Father teaches (John 6:45; 8:28).
  • The Son teaches (John 6:59; 7:14,28,35; 8:20; 18:20).
  • The Spirit teaches (John 14:26).

He is one: “Remember the day you stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, when the Lord said to me, ‘Assemble the people to Me, that I may let them hear My words so they may learn [ילמדון, passive form of verb “to teach”] to fear Me all the days they live on the earth, and that they may teach [ילמדון] their children’...now this is the commandment, the statutes and the judgments which the Lord your God has commanded me to teach [ללמד] you, that you might do them in the land where you are going over to possess it, so that you and your son and your grandson might fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged. O Israel, you should listen and be careful to do it, that it may be well with you and that you may multiply greatly, just as the Lord, the God of your fathers, has promised you, in a land flowing with milk and honey. Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one!” (Deuteronomy 4:10; 6:1-4).

God’s character as Teacher is foundational to who He wants His people to be: “But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated...and Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying...‘Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations...teaching them to observe all that I commanded you’” (Matthew 28:16,18-20).


Blessed Trinity, teach Your Church today and make us learners, that we may go and teach You among the nations (starting with, but never ending with, our children and grandchildren) for Your eternal glory!

No comments: