Wednesday, July 17, 2013

We Must Do More Than Weep

“By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down and wept, when we remembered Zion(Psalm 137:1).

Not all of them. Some of them assimilated into the culture and people of Babylon and vanished into history. But there were some who, despite being born in Babylon, clung to the teaching of the ways of God passed to them from their parents and grandparents... including the great leader of the return, Zerubbabel (Haggai 2:1-9; Zechariah 4:6-10), whose name means “born in Babylon” - not a good name for a Jew!

Mourn that Zion is not fully unveiled, but do not let that mourning for the apparent reign of the City of Man keep you from teaching the ways of Zion to the next generation. May it be that God raises up one “born in Babylon” who will mightily lead the children of Zion tomorrow.

We must do more than weep.

“Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon, ‘Build houses and live in them; and plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and become the fathers of sons and daughters, and take wives for your sons and give your daughters to husbands, that they may bear sons and daughters; and multiply there and do not decrease. Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare...when seventy years have been completed for Babylon, I will visit you and fulfill My good word to you, to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile’” (Jeremiah 29:4-7,10-14).

Lord, raise up from among our children and grandchildren Zerubbabels who are not at home in Babylon, but will be used of You to faithfully and powerfully lead us home to Zion.

No comments: