Saturday, March 23, 2013

Jesus the Shepherd


“The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23:1, Geneva Bible).

“For thus saith the Lord God, ‘Behold, I will search My sheep, and seek them out. As a shepherd searcheth out his flock, when he hath been among his sheep that are scattered, so will I seek out My sheep and will deliver them out of all places, where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day, and I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel, by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country. I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel. I will feed My sheep, and bring them to their rest,’ saith the Lord God. ‘I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen the weak...and I will set up a shepherd over them, and He shall feed them, even My servant David [the Shepherd is both God, 34:11-15, and David, 14:23 – this can only be Christ, Son of God and Son of David], He shall feed them, and He shall be their shepherd. And I the Lord will be their God, and My servant David shall be the Prince among them, I the Lord have spoken it’” (Ezekiel 34:11-16,23,24). Jesus is that ruling Son of David (Matthew 1:1; 9:27; 15:22; 20:30,31; 21:9,15; 22:41-45; Mark 10:47,48; 12:35-37; Luke 1:32,69; 18:38,39; 20:41-44; Revelation 3:7; 5:5; 22:16).

“...I will save them out of all their dwelling places, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be My people, and I will be their God. And David My servant shall be king over them, and they shall all have one shepherd: they shall also walk in My judgments, and observe My statutes, and do them” (Ezekiel 37:23,24).

“But he that goeth in by the door [of the sheepfold], is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the porter openeth, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he hath sent forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice...I am that good shepherd: that good shepherd giveth his life for his sheep...I am that good shepherd, and know mine, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth Me, so know I the Father: and I lay down My life for My sheep. Other sheep I have also, which are not of this fold: them also must I bring, and they shall hear My voice: and there shall be one sheepfold, and one shepherd” (John 10:2-4,11,14-16, Geneva Bible).

“The God of peace that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting Covenant, make you perfect in all good works, to do His will, working in you that which is pleasant in His sight through Jesus Christ, to Whom be praise forever and ever, Amen” (Hebrews 13:20,21).

“For hereunto ye are called: for Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example that ye should follow His steps, Who did no sin, neither was there guile found in His mouth. Who when He was reviled, reviled not again: when He suffered, He threatened not, but committed it to Him that judgeth righteously. Who His own self bare our sins in His body on the tree, that we being dead to sin, should live in righteousness: by Whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray: but are now returned unto the Shepherd...of your souls” (1 Peter 2:21-25).

Psalm 23 is not a song to a nameless Shepherd, but to Jesus, the only Shepherd to the sheep. Confess Him to be your Lord, Savior, and Shepherd this day.

No comments: