Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Ever-Living, Ever-Praying Son


We read Psalm 119 today: “My soul cleaveth to the dust: quicken Me according to Thy word...My soul melteth for heaviness: raise me up according to Thy Word...behold, I desire Thy commandments: quicken Me in Thy righteousness...it is My comfort in My trouble; for Thy promise hath quickened Me...let Thy tender mercies come unto Me, that I may live: for Thy Law is My delight...My soul fainted for Thy salvation: yet I wait for Thy word. Mine eyes fail for Thy promise, saying, ‘When wilt Thou comfort me?’ For I am like a bottle in the smoke; yet do I not forget Thy statutes...quicken Me according to Thy loving kindness: so shall I keep the testimony of Thy mouth...I will never forget Thy precepts: for by them Thou hast quickened Me...I am very sore afflicted: O Lord, quicken Me according to Thy Word...stablish Me according to Thy promise, that I may live, and disappoint Me not of Mine hope...the righteousness of Thy testimonies is everlasting: grant Me understanding, and I shall live...hear My voice according to Thy loving kindness: O Lord, quicken Me according to Thy judgment...plead My cause, and deliver Me: quicken Me according unto Thy Word...consider, O Lord, how I love Thy precepts: quicken Me according to Thy loving kindness...let My soul live, and it shall praise Thee, and Thy judgments shall help Me” (Psalm 119:25,28,40,50,77,81-83,88,93,107,116,144,149,154,159,175, Geneva Bible).

Jesus would have lived His life reading, singing, and praying the Psalms (like all of God’s Church through the ages). He taught us that these Psalms spoke of Him (Luke 24:44). As we read the petition for life – the Word of God prayed by the Word made flesh – we know that His Father heard and honored His prayers (Hebrews 5:7), for He lives. Hear Him pray in the Word; let His prayer become yours. Search the Scripture. Every page speaks of Him (John 5:39).

He prayed for life. His Father heard. He has not stopped praying for life, and His Father will never stop hearing His beloved Son: “He is able also perfectly to save them that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth, to make intercession for them” (Hebrews 7:25).

Come to the Father by the ever-living, ever-praying Son today. He lives.
"Christ in Gethsemane," Michael D. O'Brian (b. 1948)

No comments: