Tuesday, March 27, 2012

We'll Hardly Notice the Weather

I camped out in the backyard with my oldest son as part of his birthday celebration. Before going to bed we read - at his request - a chapter from C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair (one of the most popular of the series to my children). A favorite character of ours, Puddleglum the Marsh-wiggle, was introduced in the chapter we read. He agrees to help Jill and Eustace head north into hostile and unknown territory on an expedition given by Aslan the Lion to find the long-lost Rilian. I give you the following excerpt:


"The Marsh-wiggle sucked in his cheeks till they were hollower than you would have though possible. 'Well, I don't know that you'd call it help,' he said. 'I don't know that anyone can exactly help. It stands to reason we're not likely to get very far on this journey to the North, not at this time of year, with the winter coming on soon and all. And an early winter, too, by the look of things. But you musn't let that make you down-hearted. Very likely, what with enemies, and mountains, and rivers to cross, and losing our way, and next to nothing to eat, and sore feet, we'll hardly notice the weather. And if we don't get far enough to do any good, we may get far enough not to get back in a hurry.'"


As a lowly desert rat serving in a remote corner of the Kingdom, I do love Puddleglum for reasons I can't quite explain. Well, let's keep going. We'll very likely hardly notice the weather.

No comments: